|Address||Jonai-cho, Yamatokoriyama-shi, Nara 639-1011|
With Oda Nobunaga’s backing, Tsutsui Junkei accomplished the great achievement of unifying the Yamato region by defeating Matsunaga Danjo Hisahide. He reached Koriyama on November 12, 1580 and started building work on the castle. However, full-scale work on the castle only began when Toyotomi Hidenaga arrived in Septemeber 1585 as viceroy of Yamato, Izumi, and Kii Provinces. It is assumed that Ote-mon Gate was built here around this time.
On March 11, 1724, Yanagisawa Kainokami Yoshisato, who was transferred from Kofu Castle to Koriyama with 150,000 kokus (fiefs) for the important duty of guarding the imperial court, changed the name of Ichianmaru-mon Gate to Bairin-mon Gate. The castle was inherited by Minonokami Nobutoki, Kainokami Yasumitsu, Yasuhiro, Yasuoki, and Yasunobu before being abandoned with the Meiji Restoration when all buildings were demolished. Recently, with the growing call for the reconstruction of Koriyama Castle, Ote-mon Gate was restored by citizens to its original state as the initial phase.
20-minute walk from JR Yamatoji Line's Koriyama Station